Durack State School offers several music programs - in the classroom as part of the curriculum and in ensembles as extra-curriculum.
Our program presents the opportunity for every child to understand the contribution music makes to society and establishes the skills for lifelong learning.
Our music program aligns with the Australian Curriculum and presents every child the opportunity to develop:
- Confidence to be creative, innovative, thoughtful, skillful and informed musicians
- Skills to compose, perform, improvise, respond and listen with intent and purpose
- Aesthetic knowledge and respect for music and music practices across global communities, cultures and musical traditions
- Understanding of music as an aural art form as they acquire skills to become independent music learners.
Durack State School offers music program in four areas:
1. Classroom music program
Every student participates in 30 minutes of classroom music which focuses on:
- Active listening
- Playing instruments
- Creating & Composition
2. Instrumental Music Program - Band
From year three upwards, students are able to express their interest for participation in the school band. Selected students are provided with small class instruction within school hours every week; along with weekly rehearsal. The band regularly performs on school assembly and participates in and outside of school.
Band instruments on offer includes:
- Woodwind: Flute, Clarinet, Saxophone.
- Brass: Trumpet, Trombone, Euphonium, French horn.
- Percussion: tuned and un-tuned.
For more information, please click on instrumental music handbook
3. Instrumental Music Program - Strings
From year two upwards, students are able to express their interest for participation in the school string ensemble. Selected students are provided with small class instruction within school hours weekly. The strings ensemble regularly performs in and out of school.
String instruments on offer includes:
For more information, please view the instrumental music handbook(DOCX,136KB)
All students from year 4 to year 6 are welcome to join the school choir. Weekly rehearsals are held in the music room from 1:00pm – 1:35pm, every Wednesday. The choir practise towards various occasions, perforamnce and eisteddfod in and out of school.